We did a deepdive into how to start a podcast recently, as podcasting is getting more and more popular. But just an idea won’t get you anywhere, you’ll need the right tools. And there’s nothing more important in podcasting than making sure your voice is clear and channel out other sounds. In this article, you will find the best (USB) microphones to make sure your podcasts sound amazing.
The top 5 podcasting microphones currently on the market for every budget and need:
1. NEWHAODI Lavalier Lapel Microphone Kit
Low budget and easy to use
If you’ll be recording from your phone and looking for a budget solution, this is one of the best mics you can get. And it’s a full kit too. The Lavalier Lapel Kit has a noise cancelling microphone which works everywhere. It’s a plug and play system, so there’s no need for batteries or apps. How? Just plug it into your device of choice and use your own audio recording app to start recording. The Lavalier Lapel Microphone kit comes with plugs for multiple devices like an iPhone, iPhone X, GoPro, MacBook and many more. It’s not the heaviest build, as you can expect from a 17 dollar kit, but it does the job quite well.
- Low budget
- Connectors for most devices
- Overall build quality
- Not a USB microphone
- NOISE CANCELLING FOR FLAWLESS RECORDINGS -Lavalier Lapel Microphones record clear sound for professional results, no static noise, works well outside when it's windy or you are walking, makes your...
- COMPATIBLE WITH MOST DEVICES - NEWHAODI Lapel microphone is lightweight and durable .Compatible with iPhone,iphone X, iPad, Android/GALAXY Phones,Sony, LG,Blackberry & Windows Smartphones, Retina...
- PROFESSIONAL 5 IN 1 PACK-3.5mm Lav mic, 3.5mm TRRS to TRS adapter, Gopro microphone adapter, 20ft extension cord, 1/4 inch audio adapter.By the "lightning to 3.5mm" adapter that come with your iphone,...
- 20 FEET (6m) EXTENSION CORD - Each lavalier microphone includes 1PCS 20ft TRRS Female to TRRS Male extension cable, so you can move around the room without unplugging lapel mic. The cord is 24K...
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - 12 months warranty.We believe that you will like our products. If you are not satisfied with our lavalier microphone or you have any question, please contact us. We will...
2. Audio-Technica AT2020USBi Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone
Looking for something a bit more serious? Want REALLY high quality audio and more features? Then this is the one for you. The Cardioid Condenser has great recording quality. Or, as they call it: “high-resolution” recording. The microphone has input-level control, making it possible to adjust input level on the microphone itself. Besides that, it has a extended frequency response which is perfect for podcasting. The Cardioid Condenser USB microphone is compatible with Windows, Mac and iOS. With the specs of this microphone, you could be doing music recording and podcasting at the same time.
- Top quality sounds
- Good build quality
- Blue intrusive led light
- CONNECTS STRAIGHT TO A TABLET OR PC - The Audio-Technica AT2020USBi is compatible with Windows 7/8/Vista/XP/2000, Mac OS 10.6+, and iOS 7.02+. You can record directly to a DAW program on your iPhone,...
- REPRODUCES HI-RES AUDIO - The USB microphone is equipped with a high-quality A/D converter that delivers 24bit/96kHz sound reproduction resolution.
- PROVIDES RECORDING CONVENIENCE - The integrated mic gain controls enable you to adjust the input level on the microphone. No need for mixers or extra gear!
- IDEAL FOR MULTIPLE APPLICATIONS - The smooth 20~20,000 Hz frequency response of AT2020USBi makes it great for voice and instrument recording. You can use it for podcasting, voiceover work, studio, and...
- COMES STOCKED FOR MOBILE AND STUDIO RECORDING - AT2020USBi includes all the accessories you need for recording, including a desk stand, travel pouch, pivoting stand mount, threaded microphone adapter,...
- The micro-HDMI to Lightning/USB allows you to connect the mic straight to a PC or iOS device.
3. Blue Yeti USB Microphone – Blackout Edition
Now this is a good looking microphone. The Blue Yeti USB Microphone is perfect for recording your podcasts but can also be used for vocals, instruments and field recordings. It’s has 3 condenser capsules that can record pretty much in every situation, without any latency. And with it’s four different pattern settings so you can record vocals, instrumental music, podcasts, or interviews in ways that would normally require multiple microphones. This mid-level and reasonably priced microphone is one of Amazon’s best selling USB microphones, and for a reason: It doesn’t only look great, it’s a professional level microphone for a budget price. Works on any (recent) WIndows and Mac laptop.
- Looks amazing
- Multiple pattern selection
- Can pick up background sounds without pop-filter
- Tri-capsule array - 3 condenser capsules can record almost any situation.
- Multiple pattern selection - cardioid, bidirectional, omnidirectional & stereo.Frequency Response- 20Hz - 20kHz
- Gain control, mute button, zero-latency headphone output. Power output (RMS): 130mW
- Perfect for vocals, musical instruments, podcasting, voiceovers, interviews, field recordings, conference calls.
- Compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8 (including 8.1), Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP (Home and Professional), and Mac OS X (10.4.11 or higher), and requires a minimum of 64 MB of RAM(remove...
4. Blue Snowball USB Microphone
We’ve already seen Blue makes really cool microphones. The Snowball is another one from Blue. It doesn’t only look pretty awesome, it works pretty awesome as well. The plug and play microphone works without software, and is capable of recording vocals as well as instrumentals professionally. Just like the Blue Yeti, you can switch between various settings like recording vocals, instrumental music, podcasts and music. Proper microphone for a very reasonable price.
- Good sound quality
- Very reasonable priced
- Easy to set up
- Top screws off a bit easily
- Stand can be a little flaky
5. FIFINE K670 USB Microphone
The next one in line is the FIFINE K670 microphone, another budget solution but this time a USB-microphone. It’s a pretty cool looking mic with a touch of retro. The K670 is made for podcasting and streaming and has a plug-and-play USB connectivity. It comes with a 3.5mm headphone jack so you can listen to what you’re recording in real time. The microphone has volume control that allows easy input level adjustment. Particularly good for video voice overs; podcasts;YouTube video; skype conferences; VOIP calls and so on. It’s actually a really nice microphone for a very reasonable price, but 20 bucks more gets you the next one, the Blue Snowball. It’s a matter of budget.
- Design looks cool
- Made for podcasting, good quality sound
- Comes with long cable
- Absorbs shocks due to holder
- Not ideal for use with PC without an audio interface